Cochinillo Asado or Roast Suckling Pig is one of the most typical dishes in the cuisine of Castilla, especially the city of Segovia. Chefs take pride in the tenderness of their roast pigs and cut them with plates, as in the photo.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 45 minutes
Suckling Pig Ingredients:
* 6 lb suckling pig
* 1/2 cup Spanish olive oil
* salt and pepper to taste
* 1/2 cup butter
* 2 medium carrots
* 1 yellow onion
Suckling Pig Preparation:
- This roast suckling pig recipe makes approximately 6 servings.
- Heat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Season the piglet with salt and pepper, inside and out. Wrap the ear with aluminum foil to prevent them from burning. Then, place the piglet in a large, open roasting pan. Baste with olive oil and dab with butter all over.
- Place in oven and roast, basting often with the pan drippings for about 2 1/2 hours.
- While the piglet is roasting, peel the carrots and the onion. Slice the carrots into 4 pieces each. Coarsely chop the onion. About 10 minutes before removing the piglet from the oven, place the carrots and onion in the pan with the piglet.
- Remove the piglet from oven when it is fully cooked. (Check meat and make sure that the juice is clear and not bloody.) Remove the aluminum foil from ears and place on a serving dish. Keep warm in a warming drawer or under heat lamps.
- Pour juices from roasting pan into a sauce pan with the vegetables and heat over medium heat on stove. When the juices start to sizzle, skim fat off top. Add 2 cups of water. Increase heat to high and boil rapidly to thicken. Strain through a strainer or cheesecloth.
- Serve the piglet on a large platter with the warm gravy on the side, roast or fried potatoes and a simple green salad.